reJUVEnation

A place for Humberside theatre folks of the early '80's to reconnect, brag, expose and post current info

Monday, November 21, 2005

More from Lisa

I’ve been inspired by John’s post so here’s a little more about me.

I’m currently living through my husband and children. That is sort of tongue-in-cheek and sort of true. My world is mostly focused around my kids, which sounds terrifying when I say it out loud (or put it in black and white), though the reality is quite beautiful in so many ways.

I’ve been married to an amazing man named Joe (I probably don’t tell him that he’s amazing nearly often enough; maybe he’ll read this blog) since the spring equinox 1998. We got married and pregnant the same week. Ok, in truth we actually got pregnant and married the same week. We met in 1996 at a Contact Improvisation festival at a hot spring resort while I was living in LA and he was living in SF. We corresponded by email for eight months when I returned to TO to work on a TV show there. By the time we met again in person, it was clear to us both that we would be having a very serious relationship and would probably be have children together. Here’s a picture of him right now.



I tolerate the beard to prove how unimportant looks are to me but in secret I think he looks much better without it. ;)



About five years ago Joe started a company with a friend which now produces the world’s smallest windows XP computer. We’ve been waiting for it to pay off ever since so he can do cool environmental work that will change the world. It still might and he still might. The idea is to be self-supporting capitalists for the purpose of progressive change. Sound like familiar ideology Chris?

I used to have a career of my own working as an actor in film and tv. Seems like a long time ago, though. I quit after I had my son in 1998 and have not really regretted it much. Occasionally I miss the surreal experience of being on a set in the middle of the night or the thrill of the chase and victory of landing a part, but creatively it wasn’t very satisfying for the most part. Sometimes when I’m feeling particularly matronly or suburban, I miss the relative glamour of my past life, though “relative” is definitely the operative word. Anyway, I’m glad I had those experiences and feel very fortunate to have had as much luck as I did.

For a while after quitting acting I was seriously resisting being a stay-at-home mom and I worked as a business coach and communication skills trainer. I liked both but in the end they unexpectedly paled in comparison to being with my kids, learning about education and how to make it effective, and building attachment-parenting oriented community.

For those of you who know them, my parents still live in downtown TO and are mostly retired. My dad’s pretty committed to music and he just released his second CD. If you’re at all interested in jazz and/or ballads check out his CD, it’s really pretty good. My sister lives in upstate New York on a lovely piece of land with her drummer/manager husband and is also still singing and writing songs.

Some of my current and future aspirations are 1) to live in a co-housing community (if I can find people I’d actually want my family to live with) 2) to write 3) to finish my undergraduate degree and get deeper into the convergent studies of the future of work as it relates to family (topical issue here!) and 4) understand how to facilitate a truly progressive educational model.

Here’s a recent picture of me with Soleil.



Anyway, that’s probably way enough about me for now. As I write this you are all together at Sharkey’s. I look forward to hearing more from y’all. Love Lisa

2 Comments:

At 7:32 AM, Blogger 2dboy said...

Lisa thank you for your very kind words and thoughts. I dont know if you remember this, but once, when we were just 16, you drove me home after a night of rehearsal and parked just outside my house, I did not want to go in and you knew it because I guess I was giving off that energy. Anyway, I was basically screaming inside "Im gay, I'm gay, someone hear me, someone forgive me, someone love me" and you told starting telling me that I had to be strong in my life and live it as true to myself as possible or I would never be happy, without ever making me say what at the time, I could not. It meant so much to me Lisa, and was (and still is) one of the many reasons you were my hero. I miss you most of all Scarecrow.
Thanks for sharing somemore. You are still as beautiful and inspiring as ever.

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

John, thanks for the super sweet words. You helped me remember something about myself that I forget sometimes in my current life. Looking after kids is fulfilling but sometimes it's rather thankless. The day you posted this my aunt died and I jumped on a plane for Vancouver; your post brought a real light to my otherwise sad day. Love, Lisa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home